The beginning of the Library
After the demise of Dr. U.Ve. Swaminatha Iyer (26.04.1942), his son Shri. Sa. KalyanaSundara Iyer took meticulous pains to collect all the works done by his illustrious father. He wanted those great works to be immortalized and be preserved for the benefit of the Tamil reading community. So he approached the Adyar Brahma Gnana Sabha. The then Head of the Sabha, Tmt. Rukmini Devi started the Mahamahobadhyaya Dr.U.Ve. Swamintha Iyer Library on 05.07.1943, within the premises and also consented to be the Chair person of the library. Shri. S.Kalyana Sundaram Iyer donated all the 1832 books, the 939 palm leaves manuscripts and all printed works of his father to the library.
With the help of donors, well wishers, both Central and state Governments, its own building was built for the library and was inaugurated on 22.04.1967.
Tamil Nadu Government Grant-in-Aid
Government of Tamil Nadu – Department of School Education and Director of Public Libraries – G.O.No.480 Educational Department Dt.12.04.1954 and G.O.No.285 School Education (K1) Dept. Dt. 06.10.2010 consist’s Post of 1. Librarian, 2. Tamil Pandit, 3. Junior Assistant, 4. Attender, 5. Office Assistant, 6. Night Watchman.